How to find us
By RoadWe are working in partnership with Avis Rent-A-Car to bring you a high quality of service with great benefits. Now you can make a booking on the Avis website and enjoy the convenience of collecting your hire car at one oftheir many locations across the country, including The White Swan Inn. Book your Avis car hire now.
Pickering in North Yorkshire is approximately 200 miles from London and can be reached via the M1 or A1, then A64 and A169. We have free car parking on site.
Travelling to The White Swan Inn by Car From the South
- A1 or A1/M1 link road to A64 (York) to Malton, first left off roundabout, A169 to Pickering roundabout, first left off roundabout and first right to cross over the road up on to the Market Place. The White Swan Inn is half way down on the right hand side. We have free car parking on site.
Travelling to The White Swan Inn by Car From the North
- A19 or A1 (via A168) turn off to take A170 Thirsk which will take you through Helmsley and Kirkbymoorside. Once in Pickering take a left at the traffic lights and first right at the cross roads on to the Market Place. The White Swan Inn is half way up on the left hand side. We have free car parking on site.
By RailPickering is served by the Transpennine Services via the Railway Station at Malton. Trains run between York and Scarborough calling at Malton. A direct train service also operates between Manchester Airport and Malton. York station provides the link with the main line services. In less than two hours visitors can reach York from London and then it is only a 20 minute journey from York to Malton.
- There is a bus service but our advice is to take a taxi. You can obtain a planned route from your nearest departure railway station by calling National Rail Enquiries on 0847 484950.
Pickering is served by the ports at Hull and Newcastle.
P & O North Sea Ferries operate a daily, overnight service from Rotterdam and Zeebrugge into Hull, where it is an easy hours drive to Ryedale. If you are a foot passenger you can reach Ryedale by either taking the bus or train to York/Scarborough from Hull and then changing to pick up either the train to Malton or the bus to one of the towns or villages served by the public transport service.
Scandinavian Seaways operate daily services from Ijmuiden - Holland; Gothenburg - Sweden; Kristiansand - Norway and a summer service from Hamburg - Germany into Newcastle upon Tyne. Ryedale is then a two hour drive south by car. Alternatively if you are travelling by public transport you can take the train to York and then changing train in York, pick up the train to Malton or bus to one of the towns and villages served by the public transport service. For advice on public transport links from the ferry ports to Pickering contact one of the tourist information centres:
- Malton TIC - +44 (0) 1653 600048
- Pickering TIC - +44 (0) 1751 473791
- Helmsley TIC - +44 (0) 1439 770173
- P&O North Sea Ferries on +44 (0) 1482 377177
- Scandinavian Seaways on +44 (0) 191 2936262
- Manchester Airport is the main Gateway into the north of England with connections from Europe, America, Asia and Australia. Flights from Europe also arrive daily at Newcastle, Teeside, Humberside and Leeds Bradford Airports.
- Leeds/Bradford International Airport, Yeadon (tel: 0113 250 9696) 50 minutes by car.
- Teesside International Airport, Darlington (tel: 01325 332811) 50 minutes by car.
- Manchester International Airport, Manchester (tel: 0161 489 3000) 1 hour 55 minutes by car. Direct rail link to Malton.
- Private landing facilities for some aircraft are available nearby The White Swan Inn.
By TaxiTaxis are easily available from York or Malton railway station, telephone 01904 623332 or 01653 696969. The respective fares are approximately £45 and £20, and the distances to Pickering around 30 and 8 miles.
Local taxi companies in Pickering include:
- Appleby (telephone 01751 474430) who also have a 6 seater for hire,
- A2B (telephone 01751 472285),
- Harpers (telephone 01751 476060).
Luxury car hire can also be arrnaged though Tim Elliott of KMS Executive
Car Services on 01751 431903 or 07794815377 and for an 8 seat Mercedes/7 seat i800/6 seat Rodius contact Bob at Elite Cars 01751